The mission of the Plainville Public Library is to provide excellent service to meet the educational, informational, and cultural needs of Plainville's citizens through its collections and programs.
In 1894, the citizens of Plainville
voted to establish a free public library, to
be housed in the Town Hall (the
Pierce Street building currently used by the
Historical Society.) A new Library building
on East Main Street was opened in 1931
and housed a collection of 4,813 books. By 1941,
overcrowding on the main floor led to a relocation
of the Children's Room to a redesigned space
in the basement, but continued growth made a
1962 addition necessary. The new space housed
the Children's Room, a meeting room and two
floors of book stacks for adults. Three more
decades found the library again bursting at
the seams, and, in July of 2001, a groundbreaking
ceremony was held to begin work on a new addition.
A dedication ceremony on September 19, 2004
celebrated the opening of the expanded building,
which features stack space for 128,000 books,
three meeting rooms for use by the library and
by community groups, and a colorful, spacious
Children's Room. Focal to the renovation is the
restored 1931 section of the building, with
marble fireplaces, oak bookcases and pillars,
and comfortable seating.
Library Board of Trustees:
The Board of Trustees consists of six members. Each serves a 6-year term with two members elected biennially at town election in November of odd-numbered years.